In the Garden of Dreams/En un Jardín de Sueños

In the Garden of Dreams/En un Jardín de Sueños
Take time to see the unseen/Tome tiempo para observar lo oculto

Sunday, December 27, 2009

MERRY HOLIDAYS

Feliz Navidad and Merry Holidays Friends!

I am sorry I have not written for a bit(or a bite)get it? Anyway......life tends to get in the way. Does that ever happen to you? You WANNA do something but that darn life thing gets in the way. So today I stopped and got off the life train; long enough to wish you all a happy and safe holiday!!!!

Speaking of "holiday"......I never know what to say to people during this time of year. If I say Merry Christmas to the "wrong" person I may be violating his/her civil rights. On the other hand if I don't say Merry Christmas to the "right" person; then I may be perceived as a crazy liberal!!!! Oh no not that!!!!.............

Here is my take on all of this: We need to care and respect every one's beliefs. We learn from everyone a bit of culture and in the end; we may end up enriching our own lives. And that is how I see it. That is my confession for the Christmas season............

Though I must confess (again), that in talking to my friend who is of the Jewish faith; I think I want to "enrich" my life with some of her traditions..........Like the gift thing that keep on coming for 8 days in a row!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah! Jewish children receive gifts for Hanukkah – often one gift for each of the eight nights of the holiday. ........And eating Chinese food and watching movies on Christmas day........ Chinese food having something to do with the fact that they are the ONLY restaurants opens on Christmas! hee hee (;


Of course there are many, many more meaningful lesson to learn from other cultures than what I have stated above (duh). But you can’t deny that it is true; food brings people together! So find what brings you together and give thanks!

I have to tell you this that has been on my tiny mind lately.......Okay wake up!

You know those dorky happy faces that people put at the end of a sentence (like the one I used at the top there)..........Well here is an exclusive peek to my brilliant mind; for free………Let’s face it; if it wasn’t free you wouldn’t be looking………

....So I would get these emails from colleagues, and at the end of their sentences were these odd dorky looking symbols?

“Yet another part of the English language that I have not been privy to”, I thought. “How I wish I could have gone to Harvard or Yale”, I continued, “Or at least taken a good English class!”

I must begin by telling you that the fact that I received these symbols from very educated people; made me feel even more out of the loop than usual. As someone who speaks two languages I always feel that; I don't know exactly all there is to know about either language.

So I chucked it off as: "Oh well I can't know everything", but still I thought, "Wow how stupid I am in matters of writing", and I would sigh.

"I can't ever ask what (the symbol) that is/means; I will sound totally illiterate!".

At this point in my life I sounded half illiterate; but if I actually asked the question??….. You get the idea.... What is that expression?....."It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt"......Yeah that seems like good advice.........

So for years I never knew what the hell that (: thing was!!!!! It mocked me whenever I read an email!!!!!! "That damn symbol!", I thought, "What the hell does it mean!!!!!!!!!?".........

So being the ever clever chica that I am; I asked one of my students. Yes people when in doubt ask a child!

So I tried to sound as grown up/professional as possible; using as much ambiguity as I could possible pack.

“I was wondering Carmen,(not her real name), if you could add more of “those” on your page”, I said staring at her hands.

Carmen looks up at me with an “okay she is really gone now” look. So she asks, “What”?

“Ummm those things”, as I point to the screen.

Carmen asks again, “You mean more words?”……

”Oh dear Lord” I am thinking, “Do I sound as stupid as I feel?”…..I laugh nervously, “No silly”, I say pointing to the “symbols”, “Those things”.

Carmen in a very sweet matter of fact voice asks: "The happy faces?”.

“Yeeees the happy faaaa......What? I ask completely dumbfounded.

She repeats it slowly like a parrot mocking me, “Haaaappyyyy Faaaaaceeees?” Carmen continues as she sees the strange look on my face, "Seeeeeee its side ways?" she smiles as she tries to comprehend why on earth; is she explaining this to me?

Then I say, "Ah, ooooh yes! So it is!?"........

Confession: I did not see any damn happy face. I am sorry maybe after a few cocktails in me……… it may begin to look like something…….. But looking at this thing sober, with the lights on, in the middle of the day…….. no can do........

So Carmen ever the sweet gal she is; guides me through it. Yes people someone has to guide me through; what amounts to a part of a parenthesis and a colon!.......

She continues, "Look you just hit shift and then you hit it again over here", she looks at me like she is waiting for some kind of sign; that I actually understand the English language. She also looks over my head; maybe to make sure none of my neurons are on fire? Or it could have been my hair that day; it's hard to say.

So finally I say: "Oh I get it now!", I continue, "Yes I do see it! Watta ya know about that?? (Don't answer)..........

So then Carmen continues to tell me and show me all the different variations to it. Wow! I felt like a real pro. I felt like a part of Americana or LatinaAmericana or something "cana"………..

The one day a friend sends me this:

:>)

Okay I know when I have been defeated.........I give up!!!!!!

Merry Holidays! (; C: :>)

No comments:

Post a Comment